It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 am

Forum rules

ALL GLORY TO THE FLOATING CLEFFA

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Those Kids These Days with Their Darn Time Machines! 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Ok. So I definitely need to put this down.
Hello. I'm not going to talk about JB. Or Miley Cyrus. I'm going to talk about time travel.
I'm a killer for string theories. One of my biggest theory of them all is time machines. These things will lead to our destruction. I swear. Everyone will want to kill their mortal kombat enemies at the time when they were most vurnerable. So they will go back in time and kill them when theyre very young. Rather than talk it out. Why? Because, taking a life and throwing yours to the dogs of guilt is much easier than talking. Anyone know what I mean?

P. S.: Also, that Butterfly Effect? Yes, this thing (I'll put the hyperlink in later)? It's :censored: stupid. It'll never work.

Goodbye
"

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:02 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I think you'll find most people are less crazy/have a little more common decency than you'd expect.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

If time travel were possible, we'd know about it. I think you have a long of anger and personal issues to settle. If you can't talk to people, you're probably extremely uncomfortable with who you are.

Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:22 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Ok. So maybe I have some trust issues. But back to the fact of string theory. Let's just say someone goes back in time and kills Hitler. If they do it after the Holocaust, then its ok. But, if they go back to say, 1939? They could stop WW2 from happening and save 6 million+ people. Then they will come back to their present time to find overpopulation, advances in science and technology, and advancements in the way we live. They may have even let Communism spread further.

Goodbye
"

Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:03 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Samurott wrote:
Ok. So maybe I have some trust issues. But back to the fact of string theory. Let's just say someone goes back in time and kills Hitler. If they do it after the Holocaust, then its ok. But, if they go back to say, 1939? They could stop WW2 from happening and save 6 million+ people. Then they will come back to their present time to find overpopulation, advances in science and technology, and advancements in the way we live. They may have even let Communism spread further.

That could never happen. If someone decided to go back in time and kill Hitler before the Holocaust and WW2 never happened then nobody would want to kill Hitler because he never got to do anything. So then the person who killed Hitler wouldn't want to go back in time and kill Hitler and so WW2 would happen in which case that person would want to kill Hitler (and so on so forth, going on forever with this paragraph repeated over and over) This is a time paradox.
:? Confusing isn't it?
Another time paradox would be to start loading a gun while sitting at a desk. You then get up, jump in the time machine/other time travel device and go 5 minutes back in time. You'd be standing behind yourself from 5 minutes ago, who is still loading the gun. Now what happens if you shoot that person (yourself from 5 minutes ago) ?
Time says :objection: (objection) and we have a time paradox.
The only form of time travel that will not allow a paradox to occur is travelling forward in time without being able to go back in time (to the time where you started from or otherwise)

Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:50 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

See! DragoBoy gets the point! There would be paradoxes everywhere. Like that one episode of Doctor Who with Reapers.

Goodbye
"

Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:54 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Time travel just an idea, it's impossible now and will always be impossible.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:50 am
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

Time-time-time for Power Rangers Time Force!

Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:53 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Thanks Frost for bringing in a show that I frown upon to this discussion.

Goodbye
"

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:37 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Samurott wrote:
baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:53 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

1. The Butterfly Effect was an OK movie. I liked it. Time travel movies/shows generally don't make a lot of sense or requires the viewer to have a little bit of imagination anyway, hense "time travel".

2. Ten to one, if you did time travel to where Hilter was about to start his uprising, you'd probably be killed by a Nazi anyway.

3. My friend believes in Doctor Who and the only way you'd be able to time travel in the first place with accuracy is if you were a Time Lord yourself. Are you a Time Lord? No.

4. The Power Rangers are awesome.

5. Also, in a sense, time slows / heightens or something around a black hole. Or perhaps it was just a theory. I've forgotten. So in a way, time travel does exist. It's just not the way you're thinking.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:47 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I know I'm not a Time Lord, but I do know German, so even if I did go back to kill Hitler, which I wouldnt do, because it goes against my theory, I still might survive. And when I referenced the Butterfly Effect, I didnt mean the movie. It is a good movie, however. But the theory itself isnt a good one. Something big like killing off human evoltionary ancestors. Now thats string theory

Goodbye
"

Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:27 am
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

wait, what do you think string theory is?

Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:26 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

String theory in relevance to time is similar to the domino effect. Like if you do something big in your life in the past, it'll effect something even bigger in your present. It doesnt even have to do with time travel. As in, if America cut its education department completely during the Cold War, which we didnt, but if we did, the outcome couldve been different. The next generation wouldnt be as bright as the one before, therefore, leaving us vurnerable. Thats one of my many string theories.

Goodbye
"

Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:49 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Oh, so you're just making up a bunch of 'theories' and collectively calling them string theories? There's something else that's already called string theory so I was confused. By the way, present events being a consequence of past events is called causality, something that's been thought about for millennia. Obviously different actions will have different consequences and so one has to make decisions.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:26 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

*facepalm*
1. Yes. Theyre called theories. Theories are ideas that have yet to be tested. Troll much?
2. At least I make theories. Is causality even a word. Its not in the dictionary.
3. Please pick a side. You disagree, then agree. Its annoying.

Goodbye
"

Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:38 pm
The Geek
The Geek

Cherrygrove wrote:
and so one has to make decisions.

Well, you don't HAVE to.. Multiverse theory allows for all possible outcomes to exist simultaneously, so you can just see which one happens in this universe. Of course, deciding to not decide is a decision in and of itself, and then we start getting into paradoxes...

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:43 pm
Profile WWW
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Jigglypuff: I guess you don't have to make decisions, but supposing causality is true then if someone wants to have control of how his life takes course in this universe he will have to evaluate, as best he can, the proper course of action in order to reach that future state.

edit: I think you were actually getting at the fact that events in any given universe are all predestined (or whatever the correct term is). Disregard the above then.

Samurott:

1. Sorry if the quotes offended you. We may just have different definitions for theories.
2. It's great that you make theories, but all theories come with criticism. I didn't really criticize anyway, just pointed something out. Maybe causality can't be found in "My First Dictionary" (couldn't resist) but it definitely is a word.
3. I don't see any sides to pick in this thread. I didn't agree or disagree with anything either. Summary of my last two posts: wanted to know what you thought string theory was, pointed out that there is something called causality.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:29 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Samurott wrote:
2. At least I make theories. Is causality even a word. Its not in the dictionary.

Causality.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:46 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Some people think that time travel may work int he inverse: you go in a time machine and time moves much faster in there when you're trying to go forward in time. Kinda creepy, huh? Go crazy in a little box and no help for awhile because time outside is so slow and no one can hear you. All alone unless you can stop it yourself.

Image (by Ender)

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]