It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Is Scyther worth having as one of your main pokemon? 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Just wonder if someone have trained Scyther, is it good or not?

I have just 5 right now and are going to meet the Elite Four soon.

Also wonders about others like Ghastly, Tyrogue, Geodude or Rhyhorn.

Can ofc choose Ho Oh too... but already got an fire pokemon.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:28 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
Ghastly, Rhydon, Scyther, all good. The rest I haven't tried pre-E4.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:16 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Haven't trained any of them, but I know scizor is good if you intend on evolving scyther.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:44 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Yes, scyther is definitely top tier in game for HGSS, and for sure a worthwhile choice

Here's why:

> looks like a motha **** beast (come on he has SCYTHES for hands)
> technician, which essentially turns wing attack from a 60 power move into a 90 power move ALL BEFORE STAB! a 135 power move @ level 21 off a 110 attack stat is nothing to laugh against. Also this is before super effective... so fighting types watch out
> base speed 105 means most of the time you'll be quicker even without quick attack
> false swipe for catching legends? Pretty handy

A scyther with wing attack and xscissor should make short work of most of the elite four (obviously there are exceptions like foretress and houndoom)

But Scyther is one of my favourite pokemon and you should get one! He'll be the best thing you've ever done

There is also the option to upgrade to Scizor if you need but I always liked Scyther better.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:40 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

i think yes, but only if you want to catch a lot of pokemon, because of its false swipe

73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this as your signature.
92% of teens would be dead if Abercrombie & Fitch said it wasn't cool to breathe. Put this in your sig if you are the 8% who would be laughing.

Diamond FC: 5199-4994-9415
White FC: 0089-1661-3588

Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:20 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

surely you can teach him bug bite (60 to 90 power) instead of x scissor (80power) for later in the game anyway.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:57 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

@ dragonpheonix sorry think I spelled your name wrong, anyways the reason u listed is exactly why I trained a scyther lol espcially the false move .

Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:29 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I used 1 but against the elie 4 he has a diavantage to most of them

Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:46 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I always evolve {scyther} into {scizor} simply because red is my favourite colour and it just looks like a boss! Also kind of looks like a lobster! (L)

Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:54 am
Profile YIM WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Scyther is a good Pokémon, with great moveset, high Attack and Speed. But it has a double weakness of Rock.
If its ability is Technician, Bug Bite is better than X-Scissor. But you if you choose Swarm, use X-Scissor. Swords Dance to raise its Attack, and Brick Break for Rock Pokémon.
Also, you can choose to evolve it. Scizor has a higher Attack, but if you want a faster Pokémon, Scyther is better.

"

Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:26 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

~Make sure he has Technician
~Teach him False Swipe at level 13 to catch a bunch of Pokemon later (if you want)
~Give him Wing Attack at level 21 - which you can (and probably should) replace later with Bug Bite
~Teach him Swords Dance at level 57 or by TM, to bolster that already impressive Attack stat
~Evolve him into Scizor - sacrifices speed for attack and durability, plus he only has 1 weakness
~Use a Heart Scale (or whatever they use in HGSS) to teach Scizor Bullet Punch for deadly STAB Technician priority
~????
~Profit

Swords Dance, Technician, Bullet Punch Scizor is one of the deadliest things known to man.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:12 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Location: (Well the location of my face) Infront of the D.S screen of course!
He is good ,but he is not one I would NEED. I mean he is a Bug type... :?:

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:19 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

What's wrong with Bug types? Do you have some sort of personal vendetta against them?

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:11 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Its just everyone (Noobies) think their weak. When some are but some are pretty good. EG {butterfree} {scizor}

Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

King_Charizard wrote:
I always evolve {scyther} into {scizor} simply because red is my favourite colour and it just looks like a boss! Also kind of looks like a lobster! (L)

Yes. But, I always evolve scyther later, mostly because scyther's stats are better somehow. see if you evolve him early, it doesn't develop his stats to their fullest potential.

Fire Water Earth Wind

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:05 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

ulquiorra wrote:
Yes. But, I always evolve scyther later, mostly because scyther's stats are better somehow. see if you evolve him early, it doesn't develop his stats to their fullest potential.

Not...exactly. Whether you evolve him early or late, the end result of his stats will always be the same (provided you raise him in the exact same manner). Timing of evolution doesn't affect stats.

By the way, the only thing that Scyther really has over Scizor is that he's faster. That's it. Scizor has less weak points (he does have a x4 weakness to Fire, but it's his ONLY weakness) and can dish out damage much easier (Swords Dance Bullet Punch Technician = gg everyone).

Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:19 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Wait really?is that true of any pokemon? cos say i wait to evole wartorle to blastoise at level 80, aren't wartortle's base stats lower than blastoise? or will it award the stat points you would have missed out on later? (i.e. award 10 stat points to a stat per level) Hmm that's interesting though, how does it work exactly? I mean the difference wouldn't be huge either way, but it could be the difference in battle.

Fire Water Earth Wind

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:17 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

ulquiorra wrote:
Wait really?is that true of any pokemon? cos say i wait to evole wartorle to blastoise at level 80, aren't wartortle's base stats lower than blastoise? or will it award the stat points you would have missed out on later? (i.e. award 10 stat points to a stat per level) Hmm that's interesting though, how does it work exactly? I mean the difference wouldn't be huge either way, but it could be the difference in battle.

The point is that the end result will be the same. The middle bit is different depending on your choices, but the stats are basically determined by what Pokemon they fight (EVs). If you train two IDENTICAL Squirtle, battle them against IDENTICAL Pokemon, but you evolve one at level 36 and the other at level 76, when they both reach level 80 or so, they will still have IDENTICAL stats.

It's a numbers game. Holding off the evolution does not make much difference, save for having a Wartortle instead of a Blastoise in the interim.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:40 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Awwwwlrighty! Sense make!! Anyways, I'd rather have scizor, just for competitive reasons, it has less weaknesses. But scyther looks boss, so if thats whats most important (and it sometimes is :) ) then go for it

Fire Water Earth Wind

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:08 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Scyther Is A Beast!!!!

I have a scizor now but my scyther was awesome it had great attack and speed which makes it very effective against karens stupid umbreon in the elite four plus its wing attack was amazing against the fighting badge and bruno from the elite four! So yes scyther is deffinately worth having

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:36 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

It's a pretty nice choice. You can also evolve it into scizor, wich one can only be super-effectived* by fire type. Really usefull

*Omg a new word!!! :o

Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:42 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Apologies for being a Necromancer, but I had to comment on this.

I love Scyther.

I loved him in red/blue/yellow, but his move pool was so limited I wept for him, then Gold/Silver/Crystal changed the base power of wing attack, and gave him actual moves. I've loved him since, in fact I have yet to evolve a Scyther into a Scizor (crazy, right?).

I used Scyther in my first run through of SoulSilver, and he was great in through the entire game. X-Scissor, Aerial Ace (I don't skimp), and Brick Break destroyed anyone in his path, and False Swipe is an excellent utility move. I even EV trained the guy, and found one with a Jolly Nature.

Scyther even beat Red (with the help of Milotic, Hitmonlee, Xatu, and Steelix)

You can beat pokemon with just about any team. I beat the elite four on a soulsilver nuzlocke with a Weezing, Beedrill, Arbok, Crobat, Ambipom, and Polioswine (I killed all my other pokemon unfortunately). Choose the pokemon that you like to play with, whether it be for their looks, their typing, move set, or what have you. Xatu isn't the best, but he was fun, and I loved having him on my team. Scyther isn't the best, but he is a great choice all the same.

PS: Bug types are great (psychic, dark, and grass fear them, and they resist ground and fighting type)
all too often I see teams with an overabundance of water, electric, grass, and fire. Mix it up with some bugs (I hated Beedrill until I was forced to use it in my nuzlocke. Now I love that little bug. Twin Needle is a blast.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:43 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

You could always teach your Scyther U-Turn, like Bugsy did. It's taken out my Bayleef several times, I've never bothered to count.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]