It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 CD Review: Deep Purple - Rapture of the Deep 
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Deep Purple have gone from strength to strength since Ritchie Blackmore's departure in 1993.
Keyboardist Don Airey replaced Jon Lord in 2002 and long-time members Ian Paice on drums, Ian Gillan on vocals and bassist Roger Glover.

I bought the limited edition version which comes in a metal case and has an extra track called MTV.

Money Talks has an eerie and effective keyboard intro before the heavy riffing kicks in. This is a fine rocker and showcases the incredible vocal talent of Gillan.

Girls Like That picks up the pace with a funk fast riff from Steve Morse, although the chorus is a bit of summer-like pop.

Gillan is definately the finest singer of his generation, and his voice is still great, and yes, he still does those trademark screams at random.

The third song, Wrong Man, is more terrific vocal efforts on the versus - this 60-year-old smoker rules all over anyone else - the song is also strongly driven by Morse's thunderous guitar.

Rapture of the Deep itself is a brilliant title track and it has an Arabian flavour in its riff, while Clearly Quite Absurd is this album's ballad and it rivals the quality of Haunted on 2003's Bananas CD.

It isn't all completely amazingly stunning though, much of the other tracks are about average (for a brilliant band). It's just the good tracks are that good they make the whole album deserve massive amounts of praise.

Deep Purple have never previously attempted a song like Before Time Began. It's the band's take on the current situation in the world - it's an atmospheric and affecting song with great keyboard and guitar.

"Every day of my life I discover someone murdering my sisters and brothers in the name of some god or another."

By far this year's best album, it'd recommend this to anyone that likes rock music and great singing, not just to Deep Purple fans.

Rating: 9/10
Essential tracks: Rapture of the Deep, Before Time Began.

Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:03 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:46 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:54 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

I never really was big on Deep Purple, but this album sounds like it would be a good album to pick up. I'll have to check it out.

=02:47:08= <pop10> probably means your staff or soethingwich in that case i could getyou fired or i could report to nintendo how bad of website you run because you dont follow your own rules on the chats

Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I would certainly recommend listening to a track or two to anyone.

I'm going to see them on Tuesday, so hopefully this album will be well represented.

Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]