It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Fanfics Discussion Thread 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

It isn't bad to criticize people's work. Simple and easy right? Well, it is bad to just criticize on what you like, overlook things that are wrong or ones you don't like, and just say that 'you liked it' when you don't even say what was wrong. If you say what is wrong, it tells the author that when they make their next story, if they come across a situation like in the last one, they won't copy what they did last time that was wrong. If you don't tell them, -even though Crimson probably will if she reads it- they won't learn from it and will go on to there other stories and messing up again. And don't say 'I hated it because of this thing.' You might just say, 'I didn't really like how you used this, but since it is your story, I'm fine with it. If you want, you can use this instead, so others can understand or get what it means more.'

Does that make more sense?

I like being on here, and I hope that Crimson never leaves. She is one of the best critics I have ever known, and that is supposed to be meant as a compliment.

Sat May 05, 2007 4:38 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I like being on here, and I hope that Crimson never leaves. She is one of the best critics I have ever known, and that is supposed to be meant as a compliment.

I swear I have the strangest reputation on here, it's so strange I don't even know what it is! It's like...one minute they hate my guts...the next they really like me. XD

Sat May 05, 2007 5:35 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Quote:

I swear I have the strangest reputation on here, it's so strange I don't even know what it is! It's like...one minute they hate my guts...the next they really like me. XD

They just need to get to know you...when you criticized my PokeJourney one, I got really "pissed" at you. Then you said that you were being nice. I became...how can I put it? "Guilty" of being mad at you when you were the quickest to comment, and I apoligized. Now you are one of my good friends on here. I don't know if you think that we are friends, but I do. I just need to wait for you to post a story.

Sat May 05, 2007 6:49 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Lol, you silly boy. I have stories ALL over the forum. Most of them are one-shots so they're not on the front page. But I have two stories that are longer, but I don't update as often as the others do. The chapters are much longer typically, and well I have other things dominating my life...like work and school. You just have to hunt for them a bit.

Sat May 05, 2007 6:58 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

:lol: I just found one of them....I read it really quickly, but it was the best story I have ever read....I mean really....YOU ARE THE BEST!

Sat May 05, 2007 6:59 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Heh, Lady Luck isn't my best. My best one-shot would be...hmm that's tough. I'd have to say either Irene, Diana [Irene's sequel], or Carnival.

Sat May 05, 2007 7:02 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Well, one way or another, you are still good...I don't really have the time to search for them. It is 10:20pm at my house and I'm having dinner. Yes, dinner this late....

Sat May 05, 2007 7:20 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Heh, whatever works. I was just pointing out that Lady Luck and Wind Rhymes aren't my best. They're my latest one-shots and I like them...but like I said, not my best.

Sat May 05, 2007 7:23 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: Searching for the place all the Abra teleport to. I'm going to crash their party.
So, nobody has posted on my fanfic in a while, though they used to. Or one person did. Anyways, I was kind of wondering where all my fans went, or if I even had some. And, since it was not mentioned in the rules, is it exceptable if I post another chapter when the last one hasn't had a comment yet?

Sun May 06, 2007 6:16 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Depending on how long the last post was. I usually say at least a week in between is enough time.

Sun May 06, 2007 6:20 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: Searching for the place all the Abra teleport to. I'm going to crash their party.
Yeah, I posted it like two weeks ago I think. Anyways, I'll go update it. Thx for everything, I didn't want to break a rule I didn't know :(

Sun May 06, 2007 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
Illiterate
Illiterate

I'm working on another "journal of a legendary" story, since people kept saying "write a sequel!!!!!!!!111!!!!1!!!11111!7!" well, not exactly.
I'm also going to put it in one thread along with the Journal of Mewtwo. yes crimson, i will take a few extra hours to spellcheck what my spellchecker didn't see.

[edit]: I finished it! Well, sort of. Anyway, it and "Journal of Mewtwo" now reside in the thread tales of old.

Last edited by girog on Thu May 24, 2007 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 18, 2007 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'm working on another "journal of a legendary" story, since people kept saying "write a sequel!!!!!!!!111!!!!1!!!11111!7!" well, not exactly.
I'm also going to put it in one thread along with the Journal of Mewtwo. yes crimson, i will take a few extra hours to spellcheck what my spellchecker didn't see.

That basically sums up how other people exclaim their adoration for a story on the forum. And thank you for taking the time to proof read your work it helps keep me a tiny bit more sane. Capitalization really is not that hard if you just keep up with it as you type.

Fri May 18, 2007 7:48 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Makes me wonder. Which seems to go over better? Original work/pokemon/setting? Or new plots in old settings?

Fri May 18, 2007 10:17 pm
Profile YIM
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Makes me wonder. Which seems to go over better? Original work/pokemon/setting? Or new plots in old settings?

Whatever works best for the writer, but I do get a little tired of seeing the same type of stories, which is probably why my story isn't getting a lot of attention at the moment :(

Sat May 19, 2007 10:23 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

A good fan fiction is nice every once and a while, but it takes some hunting to find them with all the repetitive story lines out there. I prefer original stories, it really shows off the writer's creativity, while fanfiction is good for showing of a writer's skill at keeping a character's personality the same through out the story's entirety.

While fanfiction is definitly more well recieved on PsyPoke, I still prefer original stories and would love it if there were more on the site. I can't force people to write certain stories; but, I can be a pain in the butt and insist they make an attempt at proper grammar and spelling.

Elemental, don't get too discouraged, not a lot of stories on here have 'fans.' The waiting game, which is what you and I are playing [much to our dismay], is all part of writing and presenting our work to others. I can completely relate to not having people reading my work. AMBy has been the only one to comment on my book and my fan fic lost attention around chapter 5, AMBy [AABM] only posted for chapter 6 because I begged him to [I had desperately wanted to post chapter 7 but I didn't want to double post]. And there are other instances like that. Don't let your lack of comments discourage you from writing. My book has only ever had two people comment on it, from this site and another combined. But, I still love my book and I'll keep writing it unhindered despite my lack of comments.

I've glanced through your story on several occasion and was pleased to find little to no grammatical or spelling errors. Those are typically what I prefer to deal with so I left it at that. For other users, the chapters are probably a little long for them. They all tend to enjoy the short 'chapters' [more like a paragraph or two] that spring up all over the place here.

Last edited by Crimson on Sun May 20, 2007 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 19, 2007 12:03 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I must do nothing but agree with Crimson, both the "Waiting Game" and the fact that most readers are aimed for short-chaptered stories are a shame.

Personally, I GOT discouraged by a sudden and terrible LACK of comments in my story and that caused it´s death (may it rest in peace)... but that´s because I consider the feedback as something vital, like water, to make the deployment possible and go on with the plot.

But to my dismay, I tended to edit my story so much that I ended up discouraging readers, but the editions were also part of the development of my writing skills, which is good... but I didn´t do any good editing that much.

P.S. Crimson, two things: first, It´s nawt "AAMB" but "AABM" (Heck! AMBy is okay by me anyway) AND second, Carnival IS IMO your best one-shot to date.

"Team Seekers"

"I'm perhaps the least typical Ledian user you'll ever get to see in the whole OU" - AABM.

· Say, Orange looks better than gray, doesn't it?

Sat May 19, 2007 8:00 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

It's been about 2 pages... all about critics, critics, critics, critics...

CAN WE PLEASE CHANGE THE SUBJECT?!

P.S. I wonder why my fanfic (The Adventures of Mudkip) has less chapters than the Epic of Torchic fanfic, is unprofessional enough to be disapproved by Banov, yet has about 1000-2000 more views than the Fanfic's rules and announcements and stuff. I think it's the humour. What about you?

Sun May 20, 2007 9:06 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

No offense elite, but there is a reason I keep harping on criticsm. But, it's not hard to figure it out, you seem like an intelligent kid. I'm sure you may be able to slightly grasp the concept.

I actually have a theory about the reason you have so many views elite; but, you should trust me when I say you don't want to know it. I'll leave it at that.

Sun May 20, 2007 1:33 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

P.S. I wonder why my fanfic (The Adventures of Mudkip) has less chapters than the Epic of Torchic fanfic, is unprofessional enough to be disapproved by Banov, yet has about 1000-2000 more views than the Fanfic's rules and announcements and stuff. I think it's the humour. What about you?
You're a bit late. Banov hasn't posted here since back in '06.

Sun May 20, 2007 1:54 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Have you ever seen anyone do a cool 'sequal' plot in a new area? Mixing new and old pokemon correctly?

Sun May 20, 2007 10:33 pm
Profile YIM
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're asking...

Mon May 21, 2007 12:34 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Uh, I think he means something like succesfully mixing all four gens, but even I was confused... and I still am....

Mon May 21, 2007 3:57 pm
Profile WWW
Fails at life
Fails at life

I must do nothing but agree with Crimson, both the "Waiting Game" and the fact that most readers are aimed for short-chaptered stories are a shame.

Personally, I GOT discouraged by a sudden and terrible LACK of comments in my story and that caused it´s death (may it rest in peace)... but that´s because I consider the feedback as something vital, like water, to make the deployment possible and go on with the plot.

But to my dismay, I tended to edit my story so much that I ended up discouraging readers, but the editions were also part of the development of my writing skills, which is good... but I didn´t do any good editing that much.

P.S. Crimson, two things: first, It´s nawt "AAMB" but "AABM" (Heck! AMBy is okay by me anyway) AND second, Carnival IS IMO your best one-shot to date.

I agree with everything he says and I strated a new Fanfic and I need some crticsism to survive.Thanks Crimson!

Sat May 26, 2007 3:42 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Have you ever seen anyone do a cool 'sequal' plot in a new area? Mixing new and old pokemon correctly?

Urm... I'd like to think I did that, my sequel to The Last War came out just a few months after Pearl and Diamond did, and I worked the enw Pokemon into it effectively, at least i presume I did, though for me to judge my own work is a little conceited.

What do you all think of the Pokemon War series anyway?

www.youtube.com/ThePlastikOne

www.youtube.com/PsychesEntertainment

Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next