It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 CD Review: He Is Legend - "I AM HOLLYWOOD" 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

<center>Image
^Click it!^
</center>

He Is Legend is a quintet of rockers from North Carolina, whose sophomore album, "I AM HOLLYWOOD," is quite exceptional. If you're into punk/hardcore/emo/metal/withatouchofAC/DCforflavor type of music, then I strongly recommend this album to you.

COMPOSITION: Musically, this album is superb. Adam Tanbouz and McKenzie Bell are both sweet guitarists and they compose ten tracks of pure gold on this CD. Standout tracks musically are "The Seduction," "The Creature Walks," "China White," and "Dinner With a Gypsy." In many songs, you may not even realize that Adam Tanbouz is just playing one long solo while McKenzie Bell does the chunky rhythm stuff. While most of the guitar stuff is punk-core with a 70s twist, sometimes it switches over into soothing clean tones (that sound almost glassy in some parts) and sometimes it switches over into straight up hardcore. "I AM HOLLYWOOD" is by far the most musically superb album I've ever heard from a genre like this.

LYRICS/VOCALS: First, let me say thay Schuylar Croom is an amazing, very versatile vocalist. He runs the gambit from sweet, melodic, falsetto tones all the way to screaming metal grit, and he does a great job not letting any fatigue show in his voice when he switches between the two (as you'll find every single song has him switching off and on repeatedly). As a singer myself, this album presents an interesting challenge to sing along with. Lyrically, the album is a little vague. He Is Legend is on a Christian label (SolidState) and tour with Christian bands (like Project 86) but you wouldn't know it from the lyrics. A lot of the lyrics seem to be devired from fairy tales (eg., "The Walls Have Teeth") or novels (eg., "Do You Think I'm Pretty?"). And some of them are just plain funny (eg., "The Seduction"). Lyrically, the best song on the album is "Eating a Book," which describes a conversation with the devil about movies while having a cup of coffee, and how the singer badly wants to kill him. As a singer myself, this album presents an interesting challenge to sing along with.

OVERALL: It's great. I'd recommend it to anyone, even if you don't think you like that kind of music (I didn't think I was gonna like it), you'll find some element that hooks you and you will end up loving this CD.

RATING: 9.1/10

Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:14 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

So papersun has good tastes in music!
I love He is Legend...the best songs are Eating a book (love the lmelodycally soft voice and the drums in here) and china white is simply amazing (soft and slow tempo-ed and the lyrics are just great)...
edit:...interesting....3 year necromancy....hmmmm...what shall be the punishment :D

Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]