It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Few Questions about Battling 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

1) Does everyone fight with lvl 100 pokemon? jeez I'll never get there...

2) If its UU/NU should I even give it a chance?

3) I want to battle someone, I'll lose, but I want to figure out the jist of it all. Will someone battle me? My code is 1248 1353 4440

4) I don't EV train. Do i even have a chance at winning? Does it make that big of a difference?

_____

OK that's all that comes to mind for now.

Sun May 02, 2010 5:37 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Ajit wrote:
1) Does everyone fight with lvl 100 pokemon? jeez I'll never get there...

2) If its UU/NU should I even give it a chance?

3) I want to battle someone, I'll lose, but I want to figure out the jist of it all. Will someone battle me? My code is 1248 1353 4440

4) I don't EV train. Do i even have a chance at winning? Does it make that big of a difference?

_____

OK that's all that comes to mind for now.

One when battling on WiFi you have the option of doing level 100 battle which bumps all Pokemon to said level. Two I am assuming you mean your team is UU/NU if so it could function in the standard metagame but not so well. So basically no. Three click the following link for battles which is the battle request thread viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15557. Lastly, no you do not stand a chance at winning. EV training is what allows the battles to be the way they are, and if you do not you will get creamed.

Sun May 02, 2010 7:35 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

thank you very much :)

I was especially happy to hear about the bump up to level 100.

Well I guess I'm going to sit down and try to figure out this EV stuff.. Does EV training usually require you to reach level 100 to work?

Sun May 02, 2010 7:52 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

hey i'll batle you my code is 4297 5662 5505

i'll battle you at exactly 7 o'clock tonight greenwich mean time [gmt]

we'll use standard psypoke rules [no ubers no double items or luck items etc]

Mon May 03, 2010 2:54 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Oh thank you, I have Pearl...

Which leads me to another question...

Can I face anyone in HG/SS with my Pearl?

And

What are luck items?

Mon May 03, 2010 7:32 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Ajit wrote:
Does EV training usually require you to reach level 100 to work?
no, but you dont see the full effect of EV training until lvl 100. and since it'll autolevel your pokemon up to 100 in the levle 100 wifi battles, no, its not necessary to train your pokemon to level 100.
Ajit wrote:
Can I face anyone in HG/SS with my Pearl?
Yes. :)

Mon May 03, 2010 8:02 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

ahh thank you for the answers :)

Mon May 03, 2010 8:12 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

OK more questions!

1) Is there seriously no way to take away earned EV's in Pearl?? That's what the guide says...

2) Where should I draw the line between a creative moveset that an opponent won't expect and an effective moveset that can wipe out my opponent? I mean I was shocked when I found out that every pokemon has what is determined to be its best moveset. Well my thinking is that that makes you predictable, so I try to think outside of the box and never use those "Standard Movesets".

Is this out-of-the-box thinking worth pursuit, or not?

Tue May 04, 2010 4:15 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Ajit wrote:
1) Is there seriously no way to take away earned EV's in Pearl?? That's what the guide says...

EV reduction berries

Ajit wrote:
2) Where should I draw the line between a creative moveset that an opponent won't expect and an effective moveset that can wipe out my opponent? I mean I was shocked when I found out that every pokemon has what is determined to be its best moveset. Well my thinking is that that makes you predictable, so I try to think outside of the box and never use those "Standard Movesets".

Standard movesets are designed to maximize the pokemon's potential, considered individually in the standard metagame. When building a team, you can add unusual moves - but only do so if you have a team strategy on how to use them. Being unpredictable for the sake of being unpredictable won't win battles if your opponent doesn't need to predict you.

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Tue May 04, 2010 4:41 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Thanks for your response :)

1) I believe on the guide it says the berries required to lower EV's are only found in platinum or something like that...

2) I see, thank you!

Tue May 04, 2010 4:47 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Yes you can use a creative moveset, and as Sion said you must have a central stratagem to use it effectively. However the unexpected moveset can also be an excellent moveset. One such example is Tyraniboah. Most people see a T-Tar and expect a Dragon Dance and not a special attacker. Still there is nothing wrong with putting your own unique flair into a moveset as long as it ain't too crazy.

Tue May 04, 2010 7:48 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Ajit wrote:
I believe on the guide it says the berries required to lower EV's are only found in platinum or something like that...
You can also get the berries via pal park from emerald/ruby/saphire etc. and grow them in pearl like i do, or obtain them via trade on here.

Wed May 05, 2010 12:09 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

i am waiting for you

Wed May 05, 2010 1:14 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Ryder thanks for the info!

Munchlax message me if you get back on, I'm sorry, I thought you were doing it yesterday, I went on yesterday and you weren't there.

_________

OK another question:

When creating a team for battling, everyone always says create a diverse team... Well is this really the best strategy? You may have a wider variety of attacks, but you are also weaker to a wider variety of things. Why not make a team of 3-4 of the same/similar types, and then 3 or 2 pokemon that cover your main team's weakness? Is this a recommended strategy?

Wed May 05, 2010 1:32 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

if you have a mono type team, then your whole team could be KO'd by one pokemon, thats one of the reasons why a more diverse team is recommended. theres no guarantee that those 2-3 pokemon that arent of the same type could KO the opposing pokemon, and if they're defeated then you're in trouble as they wipe the floor with the rest of your team. there are a lot more reasons, obviously, but thats one of the main ones. :) on the issue of being weaker to a wider variety of things, its better to have many pokemon with each one weak to certain things then to have a whole team weak to the same thing. especially if they can counter each thing well. like, you send out alakazam, your foe sends out umbreon. umbreon KO's your alakazam, you send out machamp, KO his umbreon, he sends out xatu, defeats your machamp, you send out magnezone and defeat his xatu. just an example, and a rough one at that, cuz obviously depending on the moves and strengths of your pokemon, unexpected things can happen. your alakazam might know focus blast and KO his umbreon, as its probably faster. or machamp might know thunderpunch and bring down xatu's health to the low yellows where you can KO it with another pokemon thats not necessarily super effective to it.

Wed May 05, 2010 1:40 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

OK thanks.

Alright I have a question about the Damage Calculator.

OK so at the bottom after submitting all my stuff it says min average max and has the numbers.

OK so the average in my case is 298. Does that mean it takes away 298 HP on the average hit? Or what?

Sun May 30, 2010 11:37 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

I don't know that much about battleing, but I don't think your team is very good. Here are some new Ice types you could get:

SubSeeding Abomasnow Lead

Substitute, Leech Seed, Protect, Blizzard

SubRoost Articuno

Substitute, Roost, Toxic, Blizzard (because of snow warning)

Sweeper Mamoswine

Earthquake, Ice Shard, Stone Edge, Superpower

Revenge Weavile

Pursuit, Ice Punch, Low Kick, Ice shard

You should leave out two of these to make room for Gallade and a Ground type as counters

--------------------------------------------

Also, Make sure your Froslass has this Moveset:

Spikes, Substitute, Confuse Ray, Blizzard

And that your Walrain has this one:

Encore, Substitute, Avalanche, Toxic

--------------------------------------------

Oh, ditch the Glalie and Manectric.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Sun May 30, 2010 12:06 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Uhm thanks but that's not what I was asking...

can someone answer my question?

Ajit wrote:
Alright I have a question about the Damage Calculator.

OK so at the bottom after submitting all my stuff it says min average max and has the numbers.

OK so the average in my case is 298. Does that mean it takes away 298 HP on the average hit? Or what?

Sun May 30, 2010 12:12 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Yeah, I'm clueless about that too.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Sun May 30, 2010 12:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]