It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 CD Review: Styx's Big Bang Theory 
The Geek
The Geek

Classic rock fans, unite! The latest trend seems to be for classic artists to do cover albums (see Rush's new work, or the Zevon tribute album), and my personal favorite band Styx has joined the party. And it's an interesting party indeed.

The CD is almost all covers. There is another version of Blue Collar Man for the final track, and it's very different from the original. Nice, accoustic sound to it. But, this CD is all about the covers. None of the songs really sound like the originals, but they don't really sound like Styx songs either; I kinda like it. They lead off with "I am the Walrus," which has never been one of my favorite songs, but they do pretty good. I absolutely LOVE "I Can See for Miles" here, and "Summer in the City" is very nice as well.

Personally, I'm obsessing over the cover of "Locomotive Breath." Jethro Tull was something all itself, and Styx goes a good job capturing the feel of the song, and the band. My biggest complaint: they cut the piano into to Locomotive Breath out completely. I'm very confident in Lawrence Gowan's skills, and I think he could have easily pulled that intro off, despite the fact that it's one of the hardest piano solos I've ever heard.

Overall, I think the album is well done. Not perfect, but not bad either. I like the covers that a lot of these bands are doing, and the little flair of a "self-cover" is nice too.

8/10 - Worth the $13.99 for any Styx fan, and most classic rock fans will enjoy it too, unless you're expecting perfect tributes of the songs; these are not the originals at all.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:06 am
Profile ICQ
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Hah, I used to listen to them when I was a lad (argh, I'm old). I played the heck out of my RECORD of Pieces of Eight, yes I said record, LP, vinyl, the shiny flat black discs that you don't see around any more...

Styx was so mega big back then... but I listen to them now and I can see how corporate they were. Slick, not controversial and very mainstream. Oh well, I was only a lad.

I had their first couple of albums, Grand Illusion, Equinox, Pieces of Eight... those were the days.

On the new record with all the covers, Is the lineup Tommy Shaw and Dennis DeYoung and James Young? Who replaced the Panozzo twins?

4/3 of all people have trouble with fractions.

"An it hurt no one, do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law." -Alestair Crowley

Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:10 pm
The Geek
The Geek

Styx is:
Tommy Shaw : Guitars and Vocals
James Young : Guitars and Vocals
Todd Sucherman : Drums, Percussion & Background Vocals
Lawrence Gowan : Keyboards & Vocals
Ricky Phillips: Gass Guitar & Background Vocals
Chuck Panozzo: Bass Guitar on "Locomotive Breath"

If I remember correctly, Denny had a falling out sometime around the Kilroy is Here album. As for the other Panozzo brother (can't remember his name right now) he ODed on alcohol, but Chuck is still alive and kicking.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]