It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Moral Dilemmas 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
After finding a couple hypothetical situations that really made me consider my morals, I decided to make a thread about those dilemmas. Have you ever faced one outside of a hypothetical, in real life (I haven't)? if so, why did you choose the path you did?
Otherwise, post any (at least somewhat serious) situations that would challenge you to decide what do. I've discovered two so far:
The first one was in a game, but made me think about its real-world implications. Anyway, I found it in Final Fantasy: A2, Grimoire of the Rift. You could accept a quest entitled "I want to forget". The poster requested a substance called 'Zombie Powder'. After asking the Witch of the Fens, you find out what it is and where to find it. Zombie Powder turns the one who takes it into a zombie. After leaving her hut, you encounter an Alchemist you tells you about an alternate substance-- the Lethean Draught. It will wipe the user of their memories. You can choose to fulfill the poster's request, and end their mortal life, but they will retain memories of their past life. Or, you can go behind their back and rob them of their memories, but keep them alive and give them something of a second chance, if they didn't make any terrible decisions.
The second hypothetical question, to me, was a lot easier to answer. I ran into it on another forum. The question was as follows: If you were guaranteed a life of luxury, true love, and eternal happiness at the cost of cutting off all contact with your friends and family but could keep one person, would you go forth with it?

If yes, who would you choose to keep and why?
If no, why?

Note: This includes internet friends.

So if you choose to answer other people's questions, just quote what question you're answering or something like that.

Last edited by Edoc'sil on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:22 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Quote:
The poster requested a substance called 'Zombie Powder'. After asking the Witch of the Fens, you find out what is=t is and where to find it. Zombie Powder turns the one who takes it into a zombie. After leaving her hut, you encounter an Alchemist you tells you about an alternate substance-- the Lethean Draught. It will wipe the user of their memories. You can choose to fulfill the poster's request, and end their mortal life, but they will retain memories of their past life. Or, you can go behind their back and rob them of tHeir memories, but keep them alive and give them something of a second chance, if they didn't make any terrible decisions.

Hmm... I've been thinking of this for at least 3 hours. I guess I would end up wiping their memories. I mean, the Zombie Power kind of embodies what I call the 'Immortality Paradox'. I'd rather lose my memories than live consciously after 'death' with my memories. Either of the substances will leave you similar to an empty shell of what was once a human. Zombie Powder will give you a longer life, but the pardox of it is that you would regret it down the road. Everyone you ever cared about would be dying all around. Soon, you'll realize that no matter what you can do, nothing will free you from the hell you built around you. But, I dont know if the Zombie Powder makes you immortal or not, so that's half my reasoning to my answer.
Wiping one's memories is almost as bad, but at least it wont destroy them. They get a new lease on life, and a rebirth, in a sense.
But, it can also come down to just your personality. One who is selfish and wants to further their ego probably wouldnt give a ****, but would lean towards the Lethean Draught. Reason: They get to have a new life, while damaging everyone around them because they wont recognize loved ones. Do they care about their loved ones? Nope. Never really had, and now, never will.
One who is selfless wouldnt want to choose any, but would lean towards Zombie Powder. Reason: They would rather sacrifice their life and let their loved ones (of whom they'll still remember) live their lives without worry/grief.

Goodbye
"

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:59 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Cutting off all my friends and family bar one person doesn't sound very eternally happy...so definitely not.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:15 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

One moral dilemma I constantly find popping up is the conflict between willpower and temptation.
I'm more or less agaist stuff like piracy, but I just took seven YouTube videos and converted them into mp3 so I can have them in my iTunes. I love the songs, and I couldn't wait until I get my next iTunes gift card, so I was tempted to do so. I'm enjoying them while playing SSBB right now, but I feel like ****. I guess I should, since I kind of committed a crime.

Goodbye
"

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:47 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
In Futurama, bender has a decision to make in regards to his son. His son not being born with more then 1 memory chip slot was also born not able to bend things like his father. This made his son unable to be truly happy as he couldn't do the thing that he found a passion for. Then the Prof. said he could learn to bend but at the cost of his current memory chip being replaced with another which would allow him to bend. A Dilemma was thus created from this, either the bond between them or his son's happiness. Bender decided that even if his son would never know him that he would still want him to be happy thus the chip was replaced & afterwards it was off to bending school with his son who from then on never would know his father again.

I tend to love when a dilemma similar to this one comes up in any story as it is easily very powerful, either it be in a sitcom, anime, manga, game, etc. It mostly ends in satisfaction from me or on rare occasion piss me off. First time I ran into this sort of dilemma type was in the game Persona 3, ♥♥♥ it so much when it happens...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:11 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Edoc'sil wrote:
You could accept a quest entitled "I want to forget". The poster requested a substance called 'Zombie Powder'. After asking the Witch of the Fens, you find out what it is and where to find it. Zombie Powder turns the one who takes it into a zombie. After leaving her hut, you encounter an Alchemist you tells you about an alternate substance-- the Lethean Draught. It will wipe the user of their memories. You can choose to fulfill the poster's request, and end their mortal life, but they will retain memories of their past life. Or, you can go behind their back and rob them of their memories, but keep them alive and give them something of a second chance, if they didn't make any terrible decisions.

Now stuffz like this are what makes forums interesting. Keep it up.

The first one I don't find very hard. I'd remove the memories. Although I guess it ultimately depends on the person, and what they did in their life. But I'd always try do delete memories. For one thing, it's something incredible to experience something for the first time. Not only that, I'd never kill someone. Not only that... my philosophy in life is to "Never fly, fight." You know, the whole fight-or-flight thing? I don't believe in running away from your problems. I think zombification, or "death", would be the easy way out, running from the problem. I don't think anything beneficial at all could occur from that. And besides, if the guy wants to kill himself, then he obviously regrets something. So just delete his memories!

The second one... I have trouble thinking about. Basically what it's asking is do you want:
a) quality
b) or quantity?
This is kinda difficult, really... to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of my social life... I mean, it's not horrible and I wouldn't call myself a loner, but it often feels bland and worthless. So I'd love to have a good relationship that's true, and serenity in my life... but isn't that running away from the problem? How am I supposed to grow as a person if everything is perfect? I think I'd not cut myself off with the world... even if the world sucks, I kinda have to suck it up. And if I do, I grow as a person. Isn't that why we live?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:14 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Coliflowerz wrote:
The second one... I have trouble thinking about. Basically what it's asking is do you want:
a) quality
b) or quantity?

I choose quality. :)
Exemple: I'm trying to get Rapidash shiny (of course) for about 5 years. My friend told me he could give me hundred of shiny easily (He hack). But I decided to continue hunting. Its better to get one that you will be proud of than get alot of them easily and get bored to have them all.
For me, its the same thing for anything.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:00 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

GhostPony750 wrote:
I choose quality. :)
Exemple: I'm trying to get Rapidash shiny (of course) for about 5 years. My friend told me he could give me hundred of shiny easily (He hack). But I decided to continue hunting. Its better to get one that you will be proud of than get alot of them easily and get bored to have them all.
For me, its the same thing for anything.

Perhaps, but in that situation you work hard for that shiny. In this situation, it would be given to you instantly, no cost to you, other than the whole cutting off thing. But your idea is solid.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:00 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

*edited out double post* Sorry.

Choices, choices...

Last edited by Noob on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:23 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

A fragment of what Edoc'sil wrote:
The second hypothetical question, to me, was a lot easier to answer. I ran into it on another forum. The question was as follows: If you were guaranteed a life of luxury, true love, and eternal happiness at the cost of cutting off all contact with your friends and family but could keep one person, would you go forth with it?

If yes, who would you choose to keep and why?
If no, why?

Note: This includes internet friends.

So if you choose to answer other people's questions, just quote what question you're answering or something like that.

Yes, I Don't know much people really well. I would gladly leave the majority of people I'm acquainted with for a life of Luxury, true love, and eternal happiness. Then I can focus on giving to the world.

Who would I keep? I don't think I's keep anyone I know at the moment, I'm not a cold person or anything, I just don't really know the people I know. (Except the people I do, like my family and those whom I don't like much anymore).

Choices, choices...

Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:42 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Yes. I would do it as I really am bored 95 % of the time .
Hell I wouldn't even keep that one offered person .

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:52 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]