It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:27 pm

Forum rules

It's not called THE BIG THREAD THAT ANSWERS ALL YOUR QUESTIONS for nothing. Use it!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Question. Please, only a FEG respond. Preferably an E4 
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Okay guys, I have a question that pretty much only an FEG can answer (as I said in my topic). What do the E4 look for when promoting someone to a Gym Leader or Frontier Brain position? ((Please note, I'm not angling to try to get one of those, although I wouldn't refuse it if it was offered. I'm just curious as to what the reasoning is.)) Do they promote solely on a basis of merit, solely on a basis of numbers of FEG's active (IE, someone just retired, we need a new Gym Leader to replace him/her), on some combination of those two, or for some other reason I haven't even thought of?

Tue May 23, 2006 4:06 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
The Geek
The Geek

A new GL is chosen based on how they act in the community; the mature (mostly), active members are the ones considered.

New GLs are chosen when a new GL is needed, either because one has stepped down, been promoted, or a forum becomes more popular.

The forum(s) that need(s) a new GL also play a role. GLs are chosen from and assigned to the forums they frequent. A GL may also volunteer to take on a forum (such as T&A, Help, etc).

There is no big secret process to decide who gets to be a GL: we get as many of us together as we can, throw out some names, second some of them, shoot others down, and in the end come up with the right number of names to fill the needed positions. Personal opinions of people are not a factor; we evaluate based on behavior and potential to do the job well.

It should also be noted that in the above process of throwing out names, one of the quickest ways to have the name shot down is "Yes, but <insert name here> was begging to be a mod." Looking at the current list, I don't see anyone I remember begging. In fact, most people's first reaction is "I never expected to become a mod."

While I'm at it, I'll throw in a history lesson as best I can. Someone else can fix it up as needed.

The original mod team consisted of the "veteran" members; those who had been a part of the community for years and stuck with the chats even when that was all we had. You'll also find them first on the memberlist. IIRC, they included: Nido, TheCyberMew, JBs-Pikachu, Darkkend, Jigglypuff, and Mr. Saturn. In addition, FrostFire and Achilles were mods.

With the addition of more forums came RaichuLatias, Star, and psycho_freak. It should be noted that Flaming_Wuzzle's name showed up at this time, but for some reason it was decided that he "didn't want to be a mod." As it turns out, that was wrong, but I'll get back to that later.

At this point, FrostFire stepped down to focus more on the forums of one of our affiliates. In his place, papersun, a mod at a former incarnation of the forums, was appointed.

Enter sN0wBaLL, just a mod at the time. He was by far one of, if not the, most popular mod.

Then came the interesting stuff. The rest of the "General" Forums (Music, Sports, Games) were made, but no mods were appointed. The E4 had to manage the situation for a while. To fix this, Nido and Darkk were made global mods, and Skull Kid, Crosman, and Sneaky_Sneasel were modded. I believe it was around this time that we lost Achilles.

Next came a rise in the arts, and with it came new forums and Gryphflame and Mr. Minish.. er, their modding. Myuutsu also joined the team somewhere in here, I think.

Galar and Tom (a veteran member previously not terribly inclined to moderate) were modded, and TheCyberMew was made a global mod.

Then things get a little hazy. Flaming_Wuzzle, a veteran member, was finally modded when it was cleared up that he was, in fact, not deathly opposed to being a mod as had been previously thought.

With the Netbattle forum came FireStarter, as well as the re-modding of Star and Crossman, who had disappeared for a while. JBs-Pikachu vanished, and I believe it was around the time Star returned.

The next bit of action came from team forums. Mods got shuffled on to them, and somewhere around here papersun and psycho_freak disappeared. (Interestingly enough, papersun is technically still a mod!)

sN0wBaLL became a global mod, and shortly after that Krisp and tiger10x joined the team. Gryphflame disappeared for a while and came back.

After that, Nido stepped down and FireStarter stepped up.

That brings us back to the present, where Flannery was just welcomed to the team and dropped in on Role Playing.

And there you have it; a reasonably accurate overview of the history of Psypoke's mods. You should find that all those users possess the characters given above; they're mature (most of the time - we like to have a little fun once in a while ;P), active in the forums they moderate, helpful, and good, fun(ny) people in general. In addition, you'll notice that they were chosen for the team, not begging to be on it.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Tue May 23, 2006 6:05 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Thank you, Jigglypuff, that was precisely the answer I was looking for. And, like I said, I'm not asking to be a Mod, although I'm likewise not asking to not be a Mod either.

Tue May 23, 2006 8:28 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
Psypoke Legend
Psypoke Legend

Actually we use http://www.randomnumbergenerator.com and pick out people's ID numbers.

Jiggz is 100% accurate with the process. Another factor I find important is how well you get on with other people, especially other FEGs, and often I myself will ask a few of the Gym Leaders and Frontier Brains for their opinions.

Tue May 23, 2006 11:29 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

I was modded together with papersun at the third incarnation of the forums, actually. However, he found the new Psypoke Forums way earlier than I did :P

Personally I think the most important thing is to just be yourself. It can be obvious whether you are genuinely helping out and contributing to the forums, or whether you have any ulterior motives in doing so. So good luck to all aspiring mods :P

Wed May 24, 2006 12:44 am
Report this post
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Just a thought here. Do you lose all chances of becoming a mod if you recieve a written warning, or is your overall behavouir considered? I'm just asking because it would seem a bit unfair if you made one mistake and lose all your chances at mod status.

P.S. I'm just curious as to how a mod (even sNOwBaLL!) could be 100% perfect 100% of the time. This is not meant as an attack on mods either, it's just pointing out human individuality.

Wed May 31, 2006 9:40 am
Report this post
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I was also just wondering is there at least a limited number of posts for a person to be a GL or a FB. Or does it depend if that person behaves properly and is mature?

Wed May 31, 2006 9:56 am
Report this post
Lite Four
Lite Four

You really don't need a high post count. Actually, I think exessively spamming the forums to get your post count up (you know who you are...) will most likely lower your chances. FireStarter, Tom, Star, and Frost don't even have 500 posts.

I'm not an admin, so I can't say for sure if this is true; but use common sense. If you were an admin, would you promote the person with 3000 posts and a low maturity level, or the guy with 300 posts and is very mature? ;)

When I was promoted to GL, I hardly posted at all, and I made the Pokemon Professor rank eight days before it.

Oh, and if you want to maybe boost your chances to become a GL, visit the chats more so the FEGs can get to know you better. :)

Wed May 31, 2006 10:04 am
Report this post
Profile WWW
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Oh, and that reminds me of a second question. What if you're not allowed on the chats thanks to:

1. Over-zealos parents

2. School computers

3. Computer related problem?

Are chats a necsessary criteria or are they just extra points on your score? I'm sorry if I've sounded like a pathetic loser who desperatly wants to be a mod (does that sound offensive? I hope it doesn't... :( ), or a post-count junkie, but I'm sure that a lot of other Psypokians want to know the ultimate knowledge.

Wed May 31, 2006 10:08 am
Report this post
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

No, you don't have to set foot in the chats. All I said was, it might boost your chances just a tad. Actually, it could probably lower it just a tad, too, if you don't behave. (Also, it gets kind of dead in there, so it would be nice if a few Psypokians went there once in a while. ;) )

Wed May 31, 2006 10:18 am
Report this post
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Are chats a necsessary criteria or are they just extra points on your score? I'm sorry if I've sounded like a pathetic loser who desperatly wants to be a mod (does that sound offensive? I hope it doesn't... :( ), or a post-count junkie, but I'm sure that a lot of other Psypokians want to know the ultimate knowledge.

Necsessary Criteria? No one says you need to go on the chats to be a mod

Wed May 31, 2006 10:21 am
Report this post
The Geek
The Geek

OK, at the risk of repeating what I said in my above post...

First off, everyone makes mistakes. We don't kill you for messing up once.
Second, going to the chats is not required, but it does help us get to know you better.
Third, no one on the administration or most of the moderating staff could possibly care less about their own post count or yours. Post count is in no way a factor in choosing a mod, aside from a hinderance. (IE; "Well, that person has 25 posts per day" "Right, they're not becoming a mod.")
And finally, there is little to no actual criteria to becoming a mod. As I said before, we get together and throw out names. We don't all get an email saying "We'll need a new mod soon. Pick 5 people and evaluate them according to the following criteria so we have some names to work with." It's literally a gathering of as many of the FEGs as possible and then a simple conversation:

<TK> We need a new mod
<TCM> [Insert Forum Member Here]?
<Amphy> Spams too much
<Jigglypuff> [Insert Another Forum Member Here] then?
<TK> PMs me incessantly
<Darkk> Me too
<SK> How about [Insert Still Another Forum Member Here]?
<Jigglypuff> That was my next pick
<TCM> Yeah, they'd do good
<Darkk> Sounds good to me
<Amphy> Anyone disagree?
<TK> Right, it's settled. Thanks. I have class in 2 minutes. Bye.

And thus a new mod is chosen. There's no list, no points-system, no check boxes; your actions here on the forums and on the chats leave an impression (be it good or bad) on the E4 and the mods. When we're suddenly asked to pick a new mod, those impressions are what we think about.

And, for the curious, one such impression is "clearly trying desperately to be a mod," and it's never helped anyone make it, and probably never will.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Wed May 31, 2006 12:25 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I do NOT want to be a Gym Leader or up, but could your actions in the sub forum All Glory to the HypnoToad affect your chances? (Sorry for bumping this topic)

Edit: Ooh, that Number site is SO FUN!!! That's now another great site to visit!

Last edited by LSA2013 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:28 am
Report this post
Profile WWW
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Your actions in any forum affect your chances. See above. I think this thread clearly details our staff nominations process without leaving anything out.

Today, in the midst of foreplay, this girl tells me I am so hot, I respond "Ditto." She heatedly responds "I love ditto," to which I suavely reply "I didn't know you were into Pokemon. That may make you even sexier." She knows nothing about Pokemon, but I sure know how to kill the mood. FML

{dragonair}

Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:35 am
Report this post
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 14 posts ]